Engagement Outfit Tips!
Updated: Dec 8, 2019
The email I always seem to get from my couples is "What are we suppose to wear? Please help!" Of course I have a put together engagement guide for all my couples to help guide them as they prepare. However some of my couples need a few more tips, and I know some photographer's don't offer a guide so I wanted to help those brides out there too! So here are 10 outfit tips which should hopefully help you chose your outfits with ease!
1. Do not try to match! Try to pick outfits and accessories that coordinate instead. Imagine how boring it would be if everyone wore the exact same outfit and color to their engagement session! I usually recommend choosing a color palette and going from there to pick your outfits.
2. Do not be afraid to be bold! Accessorize and make your outfits your own! Scarves, bold necklaces, and fun shoes are always welcomed! I love when my brides add a pop with their accessories!
3. Most patterns are actually okay! However graphics are not favorable for portraits. If you are wearing a pattern make sure it is not overwhelming and distracting! I also do not recommend any patterns that are super small. I also recommend that only one person wear a pattern unless they compliment each other really well.
4. If choosing multiple outfits is too stressful, decide on just one! Some people get really overwhelmed at picking multiple outfits, so how about just one you really love! I move around location wise to give you enough diversity in the background that your images will still all look different even if you do not change.
5. If choosing multiple outfits, I always recommend one dressy and one more casual. This gives you two totally different looks. Also when else do you get an excuse to break out that gorgeous floor length dress? Plus you will totally feel amazing all dressed up.
6. Think about your location when choosing your outfit! The couple pictured above wanted to shoot in downtown Detroit, focusing a lot on the graffiti and mural walls. If they had chosen to wear patterns and bold colors the result would have been much different. They would have totally distracted from the walls, and the walls distracted from them. Plus the use of all the colors would have made the photos just a little too busy. Instead they went solid colors with their outfits and the walls popped and they popped!
7. Remember what season you are in! If you are shooting your engagement session in the middle of summer, do not chose to wear a sweater, jeans, and boots. Likewise if we are shooting in the dead of winter, sandals or open toes shoes should not be worn.
8. Make sure your outfits go together look wise. This may sound like a weird thing, but I once shot a session where he was in khaki shorts and a cute striped button up looking very summery and preppy, while she wore grey jeans and a sweater with boots looking more edgy and fall-ish. It provided to be very distracting in their photos.
9. If you want to add a pop of color go for it in your accessories! I can not even begin to tell you how much I love when a couple is in muted colors and then bam, bright red earrings. It is just so fun! It is also a good way to add that pop of color, or a hint at your wedding colors without wearing a bright red shirt.
10. If you are wondering what color most people look best in, wear a shade of blue. Blue has been proven to be a color most couples look best in and I have to agree! I photograph a lot of blue and it always looks good. So if you are wanting a color that is the most flattering, blue it is!
Hopefully now you are extra prepared for your session, but if you aren't head over to Pinterest and search Messy Photography! I have a giant board of outfit inspiration just waiting for you there!