The Perfect Family Formal List
Updated: Dec 8, 2019
Your wedding day family formals are so important and here is why. Chances are as you and your siblings grew up and moved out your mom stopped asking everyone for family photos, meaning the ones that adorn the walls of your childhood home are probably very dated. Your family formals at your wedding are usually the photos your parents cherish the most. All their kids, grandkids, and parents in one photo and dressed to the nines. But family formals aren't just important for mom, but also for you. There are many reasons such as having updated family photos, and gorgeous portraits of you and your mom, or sister, or dad, but also that I have had several brides and grooms lose parents after their wedding, leaving them with the family formal shot I took as the last one they have with their parent. This is why I have created a list that I consider the perfect list, guaranteeing you will get those shots with the people you love the most.
- Bride and Groom with Bride's Immediate Family (parents, siblings, siblings spouses, grandparents, nieces, nephews)
- Bride and Groom with Bride's Parents
- Bride and Groom with Bride's Siblings and Spouses
- Bride with Bride's Siblings
- Bride and Groom with Bride's Nieces and Nephews
- Bride with Both Parents
- Bride with Mom
- Bride with Dad
- Bride and Groom with Bride's Maternal Grandparents
- Bride and Groom with Bride's Paternal Grandparents
- Bride and Groom with Grooms's Immediate Family (parents, siblings, siblings spouses, grandparents, nieces, nephews)
- Bride and Groom with Groom's Parents
- Bride and Groom with Groom's Siblings
- Bride and Groom with Groom's Siblings and Spouses
- Bride with Groom's Siblings
- Bride and Groom with Groom's Nieces and Nephews
- Groom with Both Parents
- Groom with Mom
-Groom with Dad
- Bride and Groom with Groom's Maternal Grandparents
- Bride and Groom with Grooms's Paternal Grandparents
- Bride and Groom with Both Sets of Parents
Now that you have seen the list, I want to let you know that if you have someone to add do it! Do you have a unique family situation where your grandma babysat you every day and feels like another mother? Or a step parent you want added in? Or maybe step siblings? Make sure you add them and customize this list as needed to fit you and your family, after all it is your wedding and your day!
Also note, the list above takes about 30 minutes if everyone is present immediately once family formals start. For each additional combo you add to this list, add 2 minutes to your scheduled time for family formals.
Hope this list helps you plan for your family formals, and if you are a bride of mine, so not worry about family formals because I totally have you covered!